29 Jul How To Save Time & Money Moving | 10 Ways to Save
Moving Expenses can add up quickly. However with a few tips we can help get the most bang for your buck!
1.Book Early – Booking last minute may result in paying higher rates.
2.Move before month end – Movers are in high demand during weekends and month end. Rates will be more reasonable on weekdays or in the middle of the month.
3. Cheaper isn’t always better. Consider the following when choosing a company with exceptionally lower rates.
- The size of the truck and crew
- Years of Experience/Reputation
- Equipment and Protection Used
4. Don’t Pay for Moving Boxes – Ask your moving company for boxes to use for packing, some offer free boxes and will even pick them back up after.
5. Additional Men – Consider paying a slightly higher rate for a larger crew or additional trucks if your moving a larger home opposed to paying for more hours overall.
6. Be PREPARED – Before your movers arrive there are steps you can take to save time and money on your move.
If you’re moving into an apartment ensure you book the elevator ahead of time. If the moving crew has to take the stairs your move is going to take significantly longer resulting in a larger bill
Known your possession time – Movers bill by the hour and the clock does not stop when waiting for possession and or keys to your new home
Dis-assemble Items – Take apart bed frames and or large items before the movers arrive
7. Purge – Consider having a garage sale or donating items prior to moving. There is no point in moving items you no longer want or need.
8. Stay out of the way – It is recommended to have younger children and animals stay with friends or family on moving day.
9. Know what goes – Know what items need to be loaded into the moving truck and what items you will be taking on your own. The following items are illegal for movers to transport.
All items that are flammable, hazardous, corrosive or explosive are dangerous and illegal for movers to transport
Perishable items like food and live plants
Moving companies do not usually transport jewelry, cash or other valuable items. It is recommended that the customer takes these items with them
10. Ask about Moving Discounts – Some companies will have Senior or Student Discounts, it never hurts to ask!